This year, I expected a quiet Valentine's Day. My expectations were pretty accurate. What I did not expect was that four days later, I'd be standing on top of a mountain with boards strapped to my feet and my heart in my throat.
So. Back to Valentine's Day. Or, the day before. I was starting to suspect that ole' Matthew was up to something and I decided to worm it out of him. After all, we had a little guy to think of. A surprise for me meant separation from Mama & Dada for him.
Mama? Da-ee? Where are you?
So, Matt reluctantly told me that he'd planned a weekend away for us. Skiing. In New Hampshire. With a couple of our friends from church. And when I didn't approve of his plan to 'tow Bo around on one of those little sleds,' he told me that my MOM was coming out to watch Bo Buddy! That is some pretty great planning!
And yes, my husband is pretty incredible. The next morning he tucked gifts and cards from him and the boys around the house in spots he knew I'd check (Moose's water bowl, the freezer where I get baby food for Bo's breakfast, etc.). In Bo's car seat was a phone case that I'd picked out and left open on his computer. (umm, I'm not winning any points here.)
Also I forgot to set my alarm and I didn't even get to make him lunch on Valentine's Day. And then I gave him underwear. Yes. About as unglamorous as you can get. Bo gave him an "I heart Dad" mug with his face on it . . .
When I expressed my apologies for slacking off as a wife, he told me once again how he doesn't ever want me to buy him anything and he feels best when I don't spend any of our money . . . I'm not sure if he ever got over the time I gave him a kayak.
Can you see the dollar signs above his head?
So for now, I'm very content to let him plan the surprises. He does a pretty good job. Friday afternoon we picked up my mom from the airport, handed her four pages of typed instructions, and kissed this little nugget goodbye!
I'll say it was pretty easy to do, knowing he was in good hands! I missed him, but didn't worry once.
Despite not knowing how to put the skis on, or get on the lift, or OFF the lift, I found myself halfway up a mountain with only one way down.
I guess it somehow stayed tucked away in my memory, because even though I didn't know what I was doing, I ended up skiing all day. It was kind of an out of body experience, because I honestly can't remember anything from skiing in 8th grade (like how to get skis on and off), but somehow my legs remembered what to do.
The unfortunate truth is that I was alternately thrilled and terrified every 10 seconds . . . In my old age I don't like feeling out of control. I also don't like being shown up by three year olds, but that's just how it is.
It was a gorgeous view, uncrowded, beautiful weather, and we all stayed safe.
It was so amazing to get away and do something different and just spend time together! Matt has been/will be working Saturdays and Sundays so we just aren't getting the time together that I'm used to.
Meghan's parents live in Lexington, MA, as in the Lexington of Lexington and Concord. Sunday afternoon we walked from her parents' house to downtown Lexington, passing John Hancock's house and the green where the 'shot heard round the world' was fired. Right in the middle of town, and not very big. Hard to imagine what it was like to wake up at 5am to the villainous Redcoats starting a war outside your window.
above, the green
below, the old belfrey
It was a wonderful weekend, and so sweet to come home to my favorite little man. He was so happy all weekend and my mom loved every minute of chasing this wild man around. She described him as 'precocious' and 'so funny.' I agree that he's hilarious. And wild.
Thank you, Coco! Come again soon!





2 comments:
well, that's like the best gift ever. Way to go Matt. I think I learned to ski at Gunstock - it is a pretty easy mountain to get your feet back into it...
When I saw the pictures of you skiing, I wondered where Bo was! How fun for Matt to do that for you! Glad you had a great time! Tracye
Post a Comment