Friday, May 9, 2008

How Pigeons can make me Happy

I don't normally write about school, but it does occupy most of my time. And I do enjoy my sweet kids and all of the crazy drama of my classroom. And yes, it's wearing, but it's rewarding and I am so thankful for my class and my time teaching here.

Last Friday I my kids were completing various projects I had assigned when I saw another 4th grade class heading out to the pigeon loft. This teacher has a grant to raise the pigeons and her class does a lot with them. I surveyed the mess and progress we'd made that day and wistfully watched them head toward the great outdoors - and innumerable photo opportunities. When my friend invited us to come along and see the new chicks, we basically dropped it all, left this kids with late work inside, and tore off to the loft.


My class had visited before, but since I know next to nothing about the birds, our time at the loft consisted of, "Oh, look at the pretty bird!" and "Don't TOUCH that!" This time the other teacher handed the students to release in the air, and the kids were just in awe. Or maybe it was me who was in awe. But it was a beautiful moment, and what can beat playing outside in the middle of a school day?

No comments: