Friday, April 1, 2011

coming soon: baby boy's birthday!

Subtitled: Turn, turn, turn!

After a very smooth and uneventful pregnancy, we've hit a little bump in the road.  Our little tax deduction seems to be fine and healthy, but is having a party up at the top of my uterus instead of turning around and getting ready to enter this world like 95% of other babies do.  We still love him, the stubborn little buddy!

Despite this unexpected news, I've been blessed to see God's hand in the process.  We found out last week when I was at my doctor's appointment and instead of making us wait for a sonogram, she snuck us in that day.  It was perfect timing, as Matt wasn't at work and was able to come and see the baby and then together discuss our options with our doctor.  Also I saw a different doctor last week than I usually do, and I felt so at ease with her and thankful that she was the one walking through this with us.

It was a bit shocking to suddenly be discussing c-sections, which is probably the exact opposite of the birth experience we'd planned on.  After discussing our options, we've decided to go with our doctor's recommendation to avoid an external version (an external manipulation to turn the baby) and schedule a cesarean.  Thankfully she was on board with scheduling after his due date instead of at 39 weeks, which is more common.  We'd like to give him as much time as we can to grow - and maybe turn around in there!  Only 5% of babies are still breech at term, so there is a chance he'll turn right around and we can avoid the surgery.  Just this week I've come in contact with three people who were or are in the same position, and talking with them helped calm my nerves a bit about the c-section.

There are all sorts of ways to encourage a breech baby to turn - from playing music to coax him to turn to propping your hips up above your head to encourage him to move.  And yes, we've tried them.  And no, not a thing happened.  We're not giving up yet.  :)

So . . . our scheduled day is April 20th!  Of course there's still a chance I could go into labor before then but no signs of that yet, so chances are we'll be meeting our little guy then!

And the countdown begins: 19 days!

4 comments:

Andy said...

Hey friend! I completely understand the feelings of discussing labor options that you had not planned on... and actually following through with them. I know you know this, but I was encouraged by a mutual, wise friend of ours who has 5 kids =) to remember that the Lord has gone before you into the delivery room for your good and planned your birth story for His glory! I will be praying for his turning and your peace!

Laura and Andy said...

Andy really is Laura... I didnt realize I was in his account!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for that little man to come into the world, no matter how he comes. My best friend from home had a baby on that day one year ago and she is perfect and I know yours will be too. I wish you could be here this weekend for Erin's shower. You will be missed, as usual.

Lindsey said...

So exciting that your little guys is almost here! No matter how he gets here, once he arrives he'll be the greatest blessing! He'll be adorable and lovely and you guys will be the same:) Praying for you n the last couple of weeks!
Lindsey Hogg