Sit down, everybody, we're going on a tour of the baby's room. "Grand" tour is me being facetious - the room is about 7x10 feet, so not really that grand. When we first saw the room, we were like, "THIS is the 'third bedroom?' What a joke!" But it turns out it's all the space you need for a baby's room. So let's start with the before, to show you how far we've come.
It used to have nondescript, cream colored walls. We managed to squeeze in a twin bed (assembled in the room, of course) and a chair.
The room is so small it's hard to get a picture, but there are built in closets and a built in cabinet. The bed fit perfectly between them and almost touched the wall on the other side.
Notice the lime green radiator. Ooh, la la.
When we were ready, we took out the bed and put up the crib, which we acquired for free. Not the style or color I would've picked, but it fit perfectly between the built-ins. The solid sideboard isn't a popular style anymore but I like the way it looks in the space. We considered buying a new crib because it just looked so BLAH in the room, but we were given a changing table that was the same color, so it made sense to keep it and work with it. We figured a new wall color would change things dramatically.
One really special project was the door to the room. I assume it had glass in it at one point, but when we moved in it was empty panes with a yucky mini-blind for privacy. Our poor guests had a room to themselves - but with no sound barrier between them and the living room. We considered glass, but decided something solid and opaque was the more practical/safe choice with a baby. Matt realized that all of the panes were actually slightly different sizes . . . but he found a solution and was able to fill the door in nicely.
yucky old door and nice new door:
Ok, NOW we can show you the finished product!
Besides the chair that still needs to be covered, but whatever.
The photos are a little dark because I used Matt's phone. Sorry.
The ALMOST finished product:
Ta-da! There it is, a snug little spot for our little buddy. Went for a bit of a nautical touch since our house touches the water, and we don't think we'll ever live on the ocean again. Our little Long Island baby gets a touch of the sea cottage life.
Also, here's a close-up of the driftwood items Matt made for baby:

It's two sailboats and a whale. The whale has a tendency to look like an island with a tree on it for those that don't know it's a whale, so I thought I'd set you straight. Or really, if it looks like an island with a tree on it, that's appropriate as well. I just found the piece of wood once on a walk down the beach and said "it's a whale!" and kept it for such a time as this. So to me, it's a whale.
We're really happy with our little room and how it flows with the rest of our little house. It's a peaceful spot.
Baby update:
Went to the doctor this morning to check on things and she thought maybe he'd turned. We had a "how ironic" moment as we waited for a sonogram since my parents were already flying here. If he'd turned, we'd just wait for him to come . . . which could take two more weeks . . . but the sonogram showed he was still breech. Specifically frank breech, which means he's in half, like a jackknife. We got a good look at his face and his organs and he looks good! Supposedly he's weighing in at 8lb 2oz. It'll be interesting to see how big he really is. Our c-section is this Wednesday so we've only got a couple days to wait!
One more photo to leave you with:
Brothers.











10 comments:
Finally! I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for pictures of your adorable little spot and you did not disappoint! What a sweet, sweet place to bring your baby home to. Can't wait to see pictures of him living in his little room. I love all the personal touches you added. Ah! Two more days! I'm so happy and excited for you. love.
It looks amazing!!
Yay! Finally! I love the changing table. We're still using a bed which is not ideal. 8 lbs 2 oz is bigger than Kyalo was (by one whole ounce, mind you). That's big! Well, at least in Kenya that's big. Everyone here seems amazed. I hope and pray all goes well on Wednesday.
It looks fantastic! Great job you two!
Everything looks so great Erica! You are so good with your house and I love the nautical theme. Cant wait for your little boy to get here!! Thinking of you guys! Love from Lancaster!
how fun! it looks great! Praying for you these next few days! cant wait to check in and see pics of the little guy IN the room!
Laura
Love the room and especially "brothers" pic at the end! Very sweet. I'll be praying for you on Wednesday! It's so exciting!!! I love new babies and welcoming them to the world! There's nothing more exciting.
Love,
Lisa Presley
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it. It's very you.
Great color, excellent details. :)
I can just picture you rockin' away in there.
hugs.
Baby's crib, free, Changing table free, decor by Erica & Matt,$$, photo of Moose snoozing on tummy, Priceless.
Susan , from DGCC 2+ years back
Love the picture of Moose and baby. One of the best pictures I've seen. Really enjoy your blog!
Post a Comment