Tuesday, April 13, 2010

new hobby.

Last weekend, while Matt was busy seeing the White House

and getting the backstage tour of the Capitol,

snapping sweet shots of the monument,

and eating Ethiopian
with these two pals,

I was playing in the dirt

with this little helper.


I decided that I'd like to try my hand at growing some foodstuffs. I don't have a green thumb or much knowledge of what in the world to do, but I'm going for it. I'm become familiar with the gardening shelves of our library, if not the pages of the books I bring home. They have pretty pictures. :) I also started a half-hearted attempt at a compost pile . . . maybe next year it'll be ready to go. While I know nothing about anything, I am pretty sure that the many wild animals roaming our woods would be detrimental to my garden. So, when my parents were out here, my handyman dad built me a garden!


Here it is in its tightly sealed state. No animals allowed!


And this is me working away.
Since lettuce can tolerate a little cold weather, I planted it a few weeks ago. Voila! My little lettuce seedlings! I didn't know . . . I just planted the whole packet . . . they're going to need some thinning out pretty soon.
I started big tomatoes
and cherry tomatoes
inside. I started peppers too but no sign of them yet. Maybe I forgot to actually plant the seeds? I don't know.

If you're a pro gardener and have advice or tips or you-must-do-this's, please share.

4 comments:

Elyse Anderson said...

Love Dad's little garden/cage! Pretty sure I would have trouble getting that open, much less an animal!

Jenna said...

i'm jealous (esp of that blue sky in DC). Looks like so much fun. hope it all works out ok. I think you'll feel very satisfied when you eat your first crop.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great gift from your dad! Definitely thin out the lettuce...and the tomato seedlings. Compost, compost, compost.

Misadventures in Health said...

I SO wish we were neighbors. We'd have so much fun in our gardens!! I want to plant vegetables, but I live in a rental, so it doesn't make much sense. I am so proud of your little garden!! It is so beautiful! Keep the blog updated with pictures on their growth. I will know who to go to for expert advise when I grow my little garden one day.

I also plan on emailing you again soooon.

Love you.