Sunday, April 25, 2010

hunting and gathering

In reference to the previous post about the grill, I now feel slightly embarrassed to tell the following story. However, it's kind of amusing, so I will sacrifice a bit of my pride.

Matt and I have adapted the "hunter and gatherer" mentality since moving to this area. Except the "hunting" refers to keeping a keen eye trained towards the curb on Sunday afternoons and the "gathering" involves surreptitiously darting about and shoving various items into our car.

No, we're not stealing. Sunday is the day before trash day and we're just helping out the garbage trucks. And you wouldn't believe what gets curbed.

The grill, for example. I saw it while I was out running and Matt stopped by after work to check it out. We actually talked to the owner, who said we could have it because it was finicky and they got a new one. After Matt cleaned it out, it worked fine for us.


Some of our finds are less exciting. Like this laundry basket:


And this large wicker trunk:


But remember our Christmas bonanza? We picked up a whole plastic tub of ribbon that went on the tree,
(bike not included)
stockings for the banister,


and several small artificial trees, one which became Moosey's.


We also got a set of three plastic drawers but those are unglamorously storing all of Moose's earthly belongings in the basement.

I was pretty pumped when we picked up these one day after church - a matching set of two tall floor lamps.

And a couple weeks ago we got two of these chairs.

Like my chair model?

I'd love to recover them and finish this table for a little breakfast nook.


We'll see how far my creativity takes me. If anyone wants to come up here and get crafty, you're welcome to! I'll take you on a tour of the neighborhood and you can keep whatever you find!

3 comments:

Cam and Elisa said...

SERIOUSLY??? Awesome finds! I so wanna come! I fall more and more in love with your place and your area everytime I read your blog. I have been asking Cam if we can swing in a trip to NY this summer :) Or just for good :) hahaha....

Jenna said...

I think you need a 3rd chair for your breakfast nook as the two are already taken! It is a fun life you have, no doubt. :)

Jenna said...

Dexter would like to know if you picked the projector up on the side of the street as well? :) (He's also dismayed that he can tell you're watching Grey's there). Is the projector a reminder of Kijabe days?