Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What it Means to Teach at RVA

In the two months since I’ve left home, I’ve been going through changes and transitions and maybe lost sight of the goal, what with ABO and then waiting around here for things to happen . . . I may have gotten a little me-focused: setting up my house, my classroom, etc. Today was our first day of new staff orientation, which was more inspiring, emotional, and interesting than the name might suggest. Our superintendent did the devotions and “Welcome to RVA” portion and spent some time explaining our reason for being here. It sounds like a simple thing, but I left feeling really challenged and blessed.

Our primary purpose is to enable the parents of our students to do ministry. I think I got chills as he expounded on the history and ministry of RVA – our students come from 80 mission organizations and do work all over Africa. I knew that stat before I got here, but it takes on a new meaning now. The vision statement is: "Rift Valley Academy seeks, within the African context, to disciple, nurture, and educate students toward Christian maturity for the glory of God." Discipleship is the aim, and education the byproduct.

It is such a joy to work in a place where this is the goal. The history of RVA is testimony to God’s work here – from keeping students safe to providing staff in miraculous ways.

The challenging part is that I feel so inadequate . . . for starters, I’m the only fourth grade teacher here. But more intimidating is the fishbowl atmosphere created within the fence of the school. Everything we do as staff is a witness to these kids. I have so many opportunities to model Christ in my teaching, in my relationships, in my daily habits and attitudes . . . and with that comes so many opportunities to screw up.

Fortunately, I’m told that inadequacy is a good place to be. It’s a lesson I’ve learned many times over the years – that God likes to use weak people, for they are most reliant on Him. He is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.

I don’t want you to get bored with my blog as I wax eloquently on the privilege of working here . . . so I’m providing this handy link to the Mt. Longonot webcam. That’s our dormant volcano that sits opposite campus. Right now it’s dark but I hope you get a clear view of it tomorrow!

4 comments:

Meghan Baird said...

Erica, definitely as far as role-models go, you're a great one! These RVA kids are going to be seriously blessed by your presence, and hopefully you will be by theirs!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your staff meeting, and that it put you in the right perspective. Keep your eyes on the prize! <3 <><

Unknown said...

I really like the idea of a place where discipleship is the primary focus.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

It's been great reading your blog. Your books are safe but they miss you, they don't think it's the same at my house but I am trying to make them feel welcome. Most importantly you should know that you are dearly missed here and are in my prayers...my real ones..not just my "i will say I am praying for you so you think i'm nice" prayers:) (not that I ever do that or anything