Friday, August 8, 2008

Adventures in Language Learning

This week the RVA newbies took a 3-day language course, LAMP – which stands for Language Acquisition Made Practical. It was developed by some missionaries as a relationship-based way to learn a language, specifically for places where there is no written language. AIM has adapted the program a bit and developed a video series to coach us through the process. We had an abbreviated course since it really isn’t necessary to speak anything but English at RVA.

All five of us decided to go for Kiswahili. English and Kiswahili are the official languages of Kenya, and all students will learn both in the public schools. However, there are many tribes in Kenya, and each tribe speaks their own language. The most prominent tribe in our area is the Kikuyu, and some RVA staff are attempting that difficult language. But since I’m not going to live at RVA for the rest of my life . . . Kiswahili it is.

I actually enjoyed the class. In the morning we watched the videos and talked about strategies to direct our own learning. In the afternoon we were paired with a language helper and given a phrase or two to master and practice. Since I spent 3 months in Tanzania in college, I know a bit of Swahili. Granted, it was four years ago that I learned and used it, but I was pleased to find phrases coming to mind. I was also surprised to see the difference between Tanzanian and Kenyan Swahili . . . I’m not sure if it’s Kenya in general or just this area, but they will just drop pronouns and conjunctions at random. In a sense it makes it easier but I have to learn which words to drop and which to keep.

Of course I made some faux pas . . . my first day out I got into a conversation with some men at the gas station. I was feeling pretty pleased, as was Tabitha, as they asked me where I was from and what I was doing at RVA and I was able to answer them. (I mean, hello, first time using the language in 4 years! I felt like a superstar!) But then there was a bit of confusion when they asked me if I “understood” and I said yes. Turns out they were actually asking if I was “married.” The verbs sounded the same to me – “kuolewa” vs “kuelewa.” So we got it sorted out but I’m a superstar no longer.

In the end I decided I’d like to keep up with this and Tabitha is coming for two hours next week. The girl is brilliant – more on that later. Once school starts I’ll probably only go to once a week. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Meghan Baird said...

Don't doubt yourself, you are a LAMP superstar. Remember all those little children surrounding us on our runs and how you saved me from the one girl who kept mimicing my panting? "get what you need, use what you get, evaluate!"

Kerry Russell said...

Best phrase of the post: "not going to live at RVA for the rest of my life " :)