What a quaint little visit we had! Even the drive out there was like stepping into a different world – rolling fields of tea stretching in every direction. It was a foggy day, which only added to the old world beautify of the area.
When we first arrived, the owner, a sweet English gentleman, took us to the garden to show us a tea bush up close, and demonstrate the ‘two leaves and a bud’ that the pickers will pluck. Such beautiful flowers!
We went inside for a cup of tea (of course) and heard the history of the farm as well as a brief lesson on tea. The English gentleman’s wife told the story of how her grandfather came to Kenya on a boat and saw potential for tea growing in Limuru. Her mother grew up there as well, and now she owns the land and keeps the tea legacy alive.
We rolled up our pants and tramped through the mud to get a tour of the farm and a view of the fields. This young gentleman was back in Kenya visiting his grandparents and very expertly assisted in the tour.


We also enjoyed a fabulous multi-course lunch with more spoons than I knew what to do with. I can’t forget to mention the monkeys and the dogs – a good farm wouldn’t be complete without several kinds of dogs keeping the monkeys in line. Unfortunately for these dogs, they feed the monkeys on this farm.
But unfortunately for these monkeys, this little Jack Russell is mightier than he looks. The owner told me quite seriously how he had gotten a baby monkey the week before. He was severely disciplined. I’m quite impressed, given his size! I’d like to have him around here . . . 
2 comments:
Pretty pics and cute story about the Jack Russell. You're right, you need to get one for your house!
You should call him "Killer!"
I love that you went to a tea farm! Wow -- that is seriously cool. As an avid tea drinker I'd like to see that. :)
Post a Comment