In Charlotte, my 3 roommates and I would take turns cooking for the entire week, which was a good system. We came up with cooking superlatives one night – Jenny was the MVP, Erin the MIP, and Meg the MUP – Most Unpredictable (once we cooked pork loin for 5 hours . . . and ate at 8:30). I was the one without an acronym – the “Easiest Method” or “Most Likely to take a Shortcut” cook. I saw the value in saving time and buying marinated curried chicken and a bag of frozen biriyani (don’t forget the frozen nan!) from Trader Joe’s . . . presto, dinner is ready in 20 minutes, Indian Cuisine.
Alas, there is no frozen option in Kenya, at least that I can afford. I can’t even buy bagged lettuce. Cake mixes are $6 each and Ragu is around $8. So roll up your sleeves, folks, let’s start getting adventurous in the kitchen. My first failure was brownies. I LOVE CHOCOLATE and had dreamed of brownies for weeks . . . so I found a recipe online and went to it. No brownie mix, folks. Melt the chocolate with the butter, grease the pan (no cooking spray here!), light the oven with a match . . . way too much time and effort for brownies that came out completely flat and tasted like Blue Band, our fantastic margarine made from palm nut oil. I haven’t given up on the brownie adventure yet, I’m just waiting to use a recipe that uses cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate. I think that would be better for the altitude issue.
Time to share a success: American cereal is $10/box so I’ve been using the South African granola or muesli with yogurt for breakfast (I really don’t like it with milk). When I first got here, a dorm mom told me that she made her own yogurt – this completely freaked me out, but I soon saw the reasoning behind it. After grocery shopping a few times and paying close to a dollar for a Yoplait-sized container that tastes nothing like Yoplait, and then running out of yogurt before the next trip to Nairobi . . . I decided to give it a go. I followed the directions as best as I could – heat milk on the stove, cool it, add a yogurt culture, then keep it warm for 8 hours so it firms up. The first attempt was a failure, as the yogurt never firmed up. So I sought advice, changed a few things, and did it again . . . and success! Granted it didn’t taste like Yoplait either but I can excuse it when I made it myself.
It’s amazing what people make here – hot fudge sauce, tortillas, bagels, English Muffins, pizza sauce, pizza crust, ricotta cheese, cream cheese . . . amazing, I tell you. By the time I leave I’m going to be Super Cook, I know it.

6 comments:
Love the picture IN the picture. AJ and I miss you tons... and we talk about it and you.
praying for you tons and so excited to hear are your little stories!
Yay! You did it! Your own homeade yoghurt! Hey, I completely agree that at home I was all about the frozen, but in Sudan, learned quickly how to go domestic. Next thing you know, your own bread, pasta sauce, etc. You go girl! BTW, the monochromatic whites of the lily, youghurt, and microwave is a nice touch to the pic. ;)
So proud of you :-)
What does MIP stand for?
You're in our thoughts and prayers...love you!
you have to heat it for 8 HOURS?!?! you are amazing.... and very patient! love ya. tell your mom to stock up on brownie mix and bring it over for christmas!!! love ya. amy
I'm so very proud of you. When I visit, you can teach me a thing or 2. Love you tons ! Miss you more Kelly T.
Help is on the way. I will email two great choc. sauce recipes I used forever in the UAE.
Love,
Mommy
Post a Comment