Wednesday, July 9, 2008

On my 12th day in Africa . . .

First off, THANKS for the helpful hints on subscribing to blogs from KS and KK! My internet connection is seriously awful, I'm having a hard time sending emails right now, but in a couple weeks I'll be able to set something up. I really appreciate the comments and all. :) I wrote the following earlier today in Word so it's all ready to go on here! Hope it's interesting . . .

One week in Machakos! And my overall impression is a positive one. Sure, there are some challenges in the dining and living realms, but those are just minor blips (although they do make the best stories.) But the whole point of being here is to learn – orientate – and that goal is being accomplished. The topics of community development and health/safety were particularly interesting. We were given a Biblical perspective on community development that I found really well taught and makes a ton of sense. I’ve typed out the notes if anyone is interested. :) Health and safety – we’ve discussed AIDS, water safety, malaria, travel difficulties . . . admittedly some of it was scary stuff, especially the ‘security training,’ where we learned how to respond to threats on our safety. However, that’s life and it’s necessary to be aware and now I know how to bleach my fruits and vegetables, as well as the symptoms and treatment of malaria. I've also acquired two ways to treat snake bites - with a "black stone" and with a zapper. BONUS POINTS if anybody knows what either of those are. I will seriously send you a treat for the black stone.

On Sunday we have ‘ministry assignments.’ I went to a boarding school close by to help with Sunday school. I found the primary students to be attentive and well behaved during our lesson about Abraham (and yes, we sang Father Abraham, which they knew already). When we were done, a student from the seminary gave a full-blown sermon on claiming the authority of the Holy Spirit. Almost immediately, the students lost interest, started pulling out all sorts of toys, and walking around the room. The teacher in me couldn’t resist giving the evil eye to whoever would look my way . . . later discussion didn’t resolve if their attention toward us was just because we are wazungu? Or genuinely more interesting? I’m not sure. We’ll try round two this Sunday.

In the (few) hours that we aren’t in class, we look for creative means of entertainment. Meals are pretty basic so one day Juli and I went to town. This involved a boda-boda ride in, on the back of a man’s bicycle. It was just a bit scary to sit side-saddle on the back of a bike, with the bike horn squeaking our approach to people/vehicles, but it was cheap and fast, and we arrived unscathed. Next we perused the town grocery store for our few items- cilantro, yogurt, lemon, some cookies (to supplement our meals). After paying we had to take a little tour around town to find a vehicle to take us back. Finally we found a tuk-tuk, which is a little three-wheeled vehicle, reminiscent of Asian rickshaws. Ta-da, back to the school before the next session. That night we enjoyed some tasty guacamole to go with our chapattis. Avacados cost about a quarter. And they say the tomatoes are salmonella-free!

I’ve switched running routes to along the main road. I find that when I’m talking to my running buddy Megan, I don’t notice the stares as much and the shouts of “Wazungu!” seem a little quieter. I know we look strange, two white girls dodging goats, cows, and matatus, but I need that time outside the gate each day. We’ve had a couple birthdays – cake and ice cream! – and movie nights, but this is a talkative crowd and we spend most nights playing games and sharing stories. Last night I got back to the dorm a little late and found the door locked! After discussing with Sarah our various options on getting in, I ended up climbing through my window, fortunately left open by my roommate who grew up in the Yukon and likes to mimic that environment in our room (did I mention it’s quite cold at night?). Roommate Charmyn was a little surprised to see me climbing in but held a very coherent conversation – which she didn’t remember at all this morning!

So, that's my attempt to fill you in on just a bit of life. Please imagine me sitting outside in the dark with chilly fingers and toes, typing away under the African stars. It's a happy place.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Please tell me you have heard the song by Paul Simon called, "Under African Skies."

Anonymous said...

first, what does wazungu mean? and second, does the zapper have anything to do with standning in a circle with John Propes (spelling?) cranking the handle on this box and watching the shock go through all of us?

Love you,
Elyse

Anonymous said...

Erica,

Love to read about your adventure! Thanks for sharing the bits of life in Africa.

I don't think I get points for looking up "Black Stone for snake bites" online but it sure was interesting:
Black stone, also known as "the viper's stone, the black stone, or "serpent-stone" is used as a treatment for snake bite in Africa, South America and Asia. Although called a stone, it is made from animal bones. Dr. Linnea Smith reports that in Peru, "It [black stone] is to be applied to the site of a poisonous snakebite and tied firmly in place. It is left there for several days, during which time it supposedly draws the venom from the wound. Once the poison is all removed, the ‘stone’ loosens of its own accord and falls off."

You'll have to let us know if you see anyone with a stone tied on them! :-)

Martha

Kerry Russell said...

Love reading your updates. Just got back from the Caymans late last night and although I LOVED not having phone or Internet all week I did wonder often if I was missing some great updates from my little E. So glad to be able to "catch up" with you when I got back. :) LOVE you!

Anonymous said...

Erica, It is great to read your blog. It makes me miss kenya. The blackstone was a new one for me. It sounds like you are learning alot and enjoying the ABO. Today at prayer meeting I shaared with Lisa Orner of you. Sheand husband doug will be dorm parents for high school girls. They won't be arriving till Sept.
Love Aunt Deb