I light my oven with a match.
I can see my school from my kitchen window.
I set a timer for my hot water heater.
I wear my wellies to walk to school.
I live two doors down from my principal.
I have dial-up internet (love the sound of that modem!).
I heat my house with a fire.
(I am hopeless at starting and maintaining fires.)
I am watching baboons scamper in my front yard as I type this.
I view the Rift Valley from my bedroom.
I have increased my mile pace by THREE minutes . . . due to altitude.
I have dropped 3 miles off my run . . . due to altitude.
I eat homemade chocolate chip bagels for breakfast
I have twice as many 110 outlets in my house as 220. Bring on the American appliances!
I wear 4 layers to go to sleep at night.
I consider the electric blanket one of man’s greatest inventions.
I live in a little house in the clouds above the Rift Valley.
As you can tell, my life has changed a bit. :) It is quite the adventure – and I’m loving it. The last few days have been a whirlwind of moving, shopping, unpacking, and taking day trips out of Kijabe. I arrived on Tuesday and on Wednesday my host family took me to Lake Naivasha on a mini-safari! Yesterday I spent the entire day in Nairobi shopping for important household goods. I am now the proud owner of a coffee maker, electric kettle, microwave, hot water bottle, 3 cans of paint, and a rug for the bathroom. And more than that, but those are the important things. I’m going to be doing eXtreme home makeover here in the next couple of weeks. I’d like to start TODAY but there are some challenges – first I have to sand down the super-shiny Kijabe Cream paint that covers all of my walls, closets, and cabinets. Then I have to wait for American paint rollers to be mailed to me (subtle plea to kind-hearted souls). A unique feature of my house is that I can see every window from the bathroom door. So curtains are important. I bought CUTE fabric yesterday for my dining room window but I still haven’t found anything for the kitchen windows.
So that’s how this sea-level girl is doing in the beautiful Kenyan highlands. I already have many stories but I wanted to get this out there so you can know I’m here, I’m great, and I’m nesting my little heart out.
We're HERE! Ryan, Frances and Mike Worsham, Candace and me after just pulling through the gate on Tuesday. Obviously I'm excited. :) The 5 of us flew out here together. Ryan is teaching 5th, Frances 3rd, Mike is HS Bible, Candace is a dorm mom, and me . . . I teach 4th grade! =)

6 comments:
Yee haw!!! You made it girlie! So dag-gone excited for you! Sounds like a wonderful adventure! Sorry I haven't checked the blog in a while, nor responded to your email...we were out of town and I couldn't send any emails from my parents! Anyway, the kids and I have been praying for you and it appears that God has answered our prayers! You are adjusting quite beautifully! We'll start praying for your school preparations and for your class! Love and miss you so much! Kisses, Carla
Oh, and take some before and after photos of your house as you are decorating...would love to see the outside of it too...and the view from the windows! More opportunities to show off your photographic genius! Smooch!
Sounds pretty close to heaven! I'm sure you are having a blast shopping and fixing and nesting..and getting to know your RVA family. We're so thankful with you for all of God's mercies and his glorious abundance. And we miss you lots!
great update! yes i agree that some before and after pics of the house would be wonderful to see. (there are no rollers there? hmmmm.... that's crazy.)
btw, started a blog. daveandamycarroll.blogspot.com
4th grade: isn't that the grade your mom teaches? she could bring you a TON of stuff! so great. love ya. amy
Yay!! You're teaching 4th grade! You must be stoked! I love the cute pic of you all and wish I was there. Hey, tell me if no one else sends you paint rollers and I'll be all over that to help the cause.
Sounds like you're set up nicely. Its so hot and humid here! Going through text messaging withdrawls, but loving driving in my car. Enjoy RVA! xoxo
4th grade....yeah, what a blessing!
Wow...what excitement...all the transitions into a new life style. Oh, what we have to look forward to shortly! We have been praying for you. It seems that you are doing so well! I would love to see before and after shots of your home make over!
Love ya....so glad for all the blessings so far! Pray for us...we fly out the 29th! SO SOON!!!
Post a Comment