Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Update: AFRICA is on the horizon!

I feel like it's getting so close! While there are still many 'unknowns' in my life, I'd like to focus on what I do know:
  • I'm moving to Kenya June 27th. AIM sent me an email last week with my flight itinerary - 40 other AIMers on that flight over! 40 new friends. :) We will meet in New York on the 25th to check out and then be on our merry way to Nairobi.
  • My support raising is going well! I am at 100% of my outgoing funds!
  • I am at 91% of my monthly funds. This means I only need $163 more in monthly giving. Sooo . . . that's 8 people giving 20/month. Or rather, 3 giving 50/month + 1 giving 13. Or 5 giving $10, 2 giving 25, and 3 giving 15. Or something like that. Anyway, I'm thrilled to be at this point. Back in October, raising all of this seemed insurmountable. I knew it was going to be an exercise in faith and God has proved more than faithful! (I should have known - when I started getting checks a month before my letters we postmarked!)
So, I'm happy to be here. I'm not going to say it's 100% carefree-happy. I've moved predictably from denial to acceptance, and that reality check has brought a lot of grief as the calendar marks surprisingly few days until the end of school - and leaving Charlotte, leaving Oklahoma, leaving the familiar. (Swallowing down that lump in my throat!) But more powerful than that is the deep-rooted assurance that this is where I'm supposed to be. This is not my own doing! I did not conjure up thousands of dollars and a teaching position and a plan for my life. No, the great Author wrote these pages before I was even born. And that's why I rest in this joy of anticipation, of being in the center of His will.

April 2004. Masumbo, Tanzania

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE that photo.

Can't believe you're leaving us so soon :-(

Excited for your road ahead!

Kerry Russell said...

Can you send me another card/letter? Man I am a bad friend. I am going to be a part of that list 9%- the stuff got misplaced in our move :(