So we had this chair.
Our first house in Long Island (two houses in two years of marriage, hooray) was pretty large and Matt brought all the furniture he could to fill it up. But in our current house, we didn't have the space for it. It rocks and swivels and I contemplated recovering it for use in the baby's room, but since I'm such a novice, I didn't want to drop $70 on fabric and then hate the way it looks.
I tried to Craigslist it. (Do you like my staging? The pillow and the brick wall? I mean, it kind of worked, we got two phone calls.)
But despite interest, no one actually came and got it. So after staring at it for a few weeks, I began moving it around the house and tossing fabric on it from a large bolt I picked up at a garage sale. You know I like throwing fabric on things.
And then one Saturday, when Matt was gone most of the day, I just went for it. I decided to cover the chair. I read this very basic post about a hundred times, and then just dove it, without really thinking it through.
Bo was a good little buddy.
I just started draping and cutting and pinning and darning my heart out.
Taking it to the machine was scary, as I really did not know what I was doing. But at that point I was eager to have the thing done, so I just started sewing away. The lady who's (basic) tutorial I followed actually sells an ebook on how to make slipcovers, and I think if I'd bought it I might have avoided some questionable spots.
So if there's ever a next time, I'll definitely spend the $10 on the ebook. Corners are not easy. BUT for this project, I really didn't want to spend anything, and I didn't want to over think it and scare myself out of doing it.
And, after two Saturdays of labor . . . voila!
Of course I have a chair model.
And his jacket has his name on it.
Anyway . . . its by no means perfect, it could use a pillow to hide some of the rough spots, and I didn't feel like hemming the bottom so that's a bit raggedy. And perhaps my little side table with the typewriter leaves something to be desired?
But, for a $3 project, I'm feeling pretty good about it. I got some experience in slipcovering and we might actually sit there. Looks like a good coffee spot.








2 comments:
Your craft posts always make me nostalgic for a time that never existed in my life... ;) wishing I had the time, ability, and inclination to make things! I never told you, but I decided to crochet Bo a baby blanket (as a novice... ambitious?) back in... oh... November? And seven months later, it is still sitting by my couch with about seven rows completed. Hehe.
Great job, friend! I think a lot of success with these things comes from jumping in and trying it.
Post a Comment