Sunday, October 3, 2010

If you like mountains . . .

After returning the bear cans and enjoying some more peanut butter and banana chip sandwiches, we hopped in the car and headed east along the coast towards Port Angeles.  I fell asleep and Matt took some unattractive pictures of me.  I woke up to us pulling over to see Canada!  As you can see from the map below, we took the yellow route along the Juan de Fuca Strait and then cut down towards Hurricane Ridge.



View Seattle 2010 in a larger map


Look, Jess, it's Canada!

Looking for Canucks.


We got in the car and continued driving until we hit a hippie art gallery with an "Espresso" sign out front.  We all got some hot drinks and smiled at the little girl who was following around the gallery's resident cat.  It was only after driving 15 minutes down the road that I realized I left my jacket on the couch and we had to head all the way back to retrieve it lest I freeze during the next couple days.  Sorry, everyone.

Despite my delay, we still made it to Hurricane Ridge before sunset.  We parked our stuff at a campsite below and then drove 12 miles up into the mountains.  What a view.



See, I told you she looked good a few days in!

Snow-capped peaks.

Flannel.




After walking to a nearby ridge, we came across this teenage boy deer:


And his teenage deer girlfriend:

Getting a little feisty.




While standing at this last ridge we overheard a guy on the phone talking about the "little black bear" he saw on a hike nearby.  Gulp.

That night we lived it up with some tasty vegetable foil packets and s'mores, camping at its finest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You got some great pictures of your adventures! Beautiful.

PS You forgot your jacket...that makes me feel better about forgetting my camera at your house :-)

Elyse Anderson said...

Looks awesome! SPU, here I come :)