Monday, July 5, 2010

happy 4th!

Hello, and happy 5th of July!

I saw this bald eagle at a nature preserve with the kids earlier this week and I was really impressed, the thing is HUGE, bigger than the 2-yr-old kid I had in the stroller! I thought he belonged in this 4th of July montage.

We had a last minute decision to invite people over for the 4th (walking from the car into small group on Wednesday - should we have people over? ok!). We've been working so hard on this house and I feel like we have so far to go . . . but I also realize that we've come a long way, and if I wait until everything is perfect, we'll never have anyone over. We ended up with two couples from church and two couples from Matt's residency. Also present were a brand-new baby, 2 kids, a Cavalier Spaniel, and a bulldog.

Getting ready for a lowcountry shrimp boil . . .

red, white, and blue + mason jar
I found these at a garage sale. After hanging them from the umbrella, I decided they would look better hanging from the giant tree in front of our house . . . but just left them for today. Also, I didn't have any little candles. But eventually, they'll be cute.




The shrimp boil might not have been as big a hit with this northern crew, but I enjoyed the nod to the South and everyone else enjoyed the brats. And Lori made Pioneer Woman's potato salad, which was REAL good. Apparently pickles are the secret ingredient.

We also made our first batch of homemade ice cream. Despite my panic that it tasted wrong and there wouldn't be enough . . . it tasted great and there is still some in the freezer!

After our guests left, we went down to the water to enjoy the sunset - something we haven't done yet, despite living here for a month.

Look at this beautiful sight:

And THIS beautiful sight:



The fun wasn't over yet . . . a couple friends came back over and we set up the "Yezerski's Drive-In." Matt fashioned a screen out of a sheet and some wood, and we projected The Sandlot outside. And roasted s'mores. It might have to become a more regular activity.

I realized this was my first Independence Day back in America, as I spent the last three in Kenya. I also realized that besides Kenya, this had to be the COOLEST I'd ever been in July. It was warm during the day, but at night watching the movie, I definitely had goosebumps. Living in the northeast has its perks!!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Adorable picnic Erica! Everything looks so sweet.

Unknown said...

Great setup!

I miss cool nights on the 4th.

Jenna said...

My first 4th of July in the US in 5 years was no much warmer than Kenya - and the fog on the mountains looked the same as clouds over Longonot! Can I put in a request for a movie & S'mores when we come? Sounds fun!