Sunday, February 8, 2009

to be surprised . . .

This entry may come as a surprise to some of you. Which is great, because I absolutely LOVE surprises. And I've just had the most wonderful surprise of my LIFE. For the past six months, I've decided not to treat this blog as forum to discuss falling in love . . . You may remember a certain running partner from the half marathon, the one who actually finished, elsewhere referred to as my "good friend Matt."

Well, now he is officially referred to as my "good fiance Matt."

!!!!!!!!

It's quite a story. The short version: Matt was working as a dentist at Kijabe Hospital when I arrived this summer. We met on the flag football field, started running together, and I spent some time trying not to start a relationship with him, since he was leaving in December. But somewhere in there we decided it was fruitless to postpone the inevitable, started dating, met each other's parents, and then his six-month term was up and he moved back to the States.

After he left, he called me every day from Kentucky and we started to plan when to see each other again. I was excited about the potential for a visit in April, when, out of the blue . . .

there he is, in my living room, asking me to marry him.

and I said yes!

and we are VERY very happy and floating around Kijabe right now.

happy happy happy right after he popped the question.

my ring. (aaugh!!)
sweatshirt = surprised erica.


cutest couple ever, i know.

the future dr. and mrs. yezerski

God is amazing. When I was on my way out here, this was definitely not what I expected, but I just love how God's plan is so perfect, so much more wonderful than I could ever dream up.

So of course that is the short version. But not feeling too motivated to sit in front of the computer when I could be spending time with Mr. Wonderful Matt . . . but if I get 25 comments requesting more details, I'll consider an engagement story post. Just for you.

35 comments:

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

We're all gathered around my computer, freaking out (once again...apparently we still had some screams left over from Thursday night) and just LOVING this SOO much. You look SO beautiful, happy, and you have four votes right here for cutest couple :) WE LOVE YOU. XOXO!! E, J, M & A

Anonymous said...

Ok, here's the latest comment I got from church today when someone saw the photo with your hair up, Erica, beside Matt-----"Oh my gosh, they look like twins!" Two other people have said on separate occasions "They are going to have very CUTE kids." Mommy just smiles proudly.

Megan said...

Congratulations blog-friend! I used to think my husband and I make a cute couple - you two set a new standard! I would like to officially request the long version of the engagement story for my blog reading pleasure!

Anonymous said...

Yes, an engagement blog would be appreciated even if you don't get 25 responses. The fam would LOVE for you to do this.
Hugs from Dad

Dave and Amy Carroll said...

I concur: the family will love you for this! PLEASE can we have another post. :) I have gotten somewhat of the scoop from Heather, but would love to hear more from you. So excited for you two! And yes, I second the fact that you look so much alike. :) No doubt you'll have little blonde ones running around! love ya.

Kirk and Chrissie said...

I am requesting an engagement story. PLEASE. Indulge.

Anonymous said...

Do tell....you know we want to hear it.

Kerry Russell said...

ok. so A. I called you meeting your husband in africa and B. I totally called you getting proposed to in a hoodie... LOVE it! I want a close-up of the ring!!!!

Anonymous said...

Erica- I'm soooo happy for you!!! :) I can't wait to hear more! God sure does have better plans for us than we do!

YAY i'm soo excited for you!!!!!

beth said...

OK, I'm comment #11. Do you have to get up to 25 to share the story!!!

Congratulations, Erica. I'm so excited for you and marveling with you at God's crazy plan that you couldn't have anticipated! And yes, you are a very cute couple. I sure hope you bring Mr. Wonderful Matt to Charlotte sometime!

Jessica said...

Squeal!! Congratulations! You guys are adorable together, add my name to the count requesting the full story, and I second the ring close up request!!! :D

Meghan Baird said...

Yay! Thanks for the story! I think you should definitely give the full story...once Matt leaves. But I hope to get the full story next weekend at your house. ;)

Anonymous said...

Please post the entire story. I'm a friend of your moms and have cried about this beautiful engagement! Congratulations

Cam and Elisa said...

You two ARE the cutest...wow! YOu look perfect together and SOO happy. I loved the short version of how you met and the engagement...but I would definitley LOVE to hear the long version! I would really like a Skype chat :)
Your pictures are gorgeous and from what I could see of the ring it was gorgeous as well! When is the wedding coming? What are your plans?

Jessie said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


oh. my. gosh!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOOOO Happy for you!!!! Please write more! I want to know all the details!!! I LOVE that you are engaged!!!!!!


WOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Love You!
Caitlin

Anonymous said...

Yes, I also would like to hear the entire story with LOTS of details! Where was he hiding? What were you thinking while you were watching the video? Date?? Location?? And anything else you would like to add!

Congrats!!
Chelsi Nelson

Ashley said...

pretty pretty pics. need a close-up of the bling bling though. =D

so happy for you guys.

Carla said...

Luke's going to be CRUSHED...He's been asking lately when you were coming back! Now I'll have to tell him, "For her wedding!" (hee, hee!) I am sooooo happy and excited for you honey! Can't wait to tell the kiddos in the morning! The girls will be squealing...and they'll want all the mushy details! Me too! I love you Erica and can't wait to meet Mr. Wonderful Matt!!! Smooch!

Unknown said...

aaaaaMMMAAAAAAAzzzzing!!!

I did hear from Erin that things were serious but I can't believe I didn't even have time to get an email off to give you the third degree before you're engaged!!!

AAAHHHH!!!

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Jenny Haller said...

So proud of you! A proposal in KENYA! What a dream come true!!

Kate said...

Amy Reid just texted me to tell me to get on your blog quick and I screamed when I read!!!!! OMG! You guys are SO adorable!!! AH! I am so excited. Marriage is so wonderful. Congratulations!!!!

Ashley said...

Well - I may not be a regular commenter on your blog - but how could I not with news like this! Woah! Congrats! And what a stud he is!

nicole said...

I think I officially make 25. LONG version please!!

Congratulations! So very exciting!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I just noticed that there were 24 comments so I thought I would just go ahead and make it 25. CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are SO thrilled for you!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Our God truly is an amazing God! He gives us more than we could ever ask or imagine. I love your pics; you two look ecstatic! Beautiful couple! I know you're just bubbling inside! You're over 25 comments so we will look forward to more details, more pics, whatever you got! ;)
-Laura and Andrew

Anonymous said...

Haha, Well, I guess your proclamation backfired and now you're forced to tell everyone the engagement story! You forgot to mention the meeting of the brother. That was a crucial!
love ya
ry

Anonymous said...

Erica, Congratulations from the Gates klan!!! Yes we were very surprised because we checked your blog just a couple of days ago. You are great at keeping secrets.

We wish you both the very best with your future and know that God has great plans for you (Jer 29: 11-13)...we continue to pray for you and let us know the date!

God Bless, Mark & Joanne (and the boys)

Griffen said...

I love a good engagement story...

I have peeked in a few times since we saw you down-country over Christmas. This is great news. Will you guys come back to Africa? Can we look forward to bumping into you and the new hubs at conference someday?!

Add my request to your oodles of adoring fans.

Mick Simon said...

The other night I heard this squealing from upstairs followed by the faint strains of "True Companion" by Marc Cohn. My first thought was, "Somebody got engaged!" Jenny confirmed it Sunday - Congrats! I wish you both the very best! Mick & Maggie

Anonymous said...

Now you definitely HAVE to post an engagement story. But we'll wait until Matt leaves. We are so happy for you! Blessings, Tracye and Grant

Anonymous said...

Have I mentioned that I am excited? I might of forgotten to say that in the 16 emails I have sent you...
congrats again! Love you!

champagne.supernova said...

ok... you have had 33 comments now :) Which means you need to go into more detail. When the engagement came up through my news feed on fb. I litereally screamed. :) hahah. Congratulations I am so excited for you e! I love my scarf by the way. Thank you! Thank you! so... thats all i had to say. And selfishly i am excited about the idea of you coming back to the states.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Erica!!! I am so happy for you and for Matt. AJ said Matt will be in Africa until sometime in March ... is it possible we will not get the full engagement story until he returns to the US? Anxiously awaiting to hear all about the engagement in Africa!

Enjoy your time together -
Amy