My students have been going through the life of Christ in Bible class for a long time. They have really learned how to search the text and ask questions of it. Half the time I can't answer the questions, but it is always a good discussion, easily my favorite time of the day. This week I was touched by their connections and decided to type out our notes so you can see what they've learned. The passage was John 21:15-25.
Jesus Reinstates Peter
Summary: Jesus asked Peter three times, “Do you love me?” and asked him three times to take care of his sheep.
Questions: What are sheep and lambs? (The church. Maybe lambs are people that are not Christians yet, or baby Christians, or people that just heard the Gospel but haven’t accepted it yet.) Connection: Peter denied Jesus three times; maybe that’s why Jesus asked him three times if Peter loved Him.
What did I learn about God? God has a reason for saying things over and over. God did way more than can ever fit in the Bible. Jesus asked, “do you love me?” This must mean that Jesus loves us if He wants us to love Him. God has a plan for everyone.
How does this affect me? God has a plan for everyone, but He just wants me to worry about His plan for ME, not His plan for others, because He has a perfect plan just for me. Some people get to do great adventures for God when they’re small, but if I don’t get to do that, I shouldn’t be sad about it . . . I should realize I might get that opportunity when I’m older. I can glorify Him in small ways now and in big ways. God loves people more than anything – He created us and knows our sin but He still loved us first! So we should love Him more than anything. Loving means doing, like in James 1, just like we show our parents we love them by obeying them.
1 comment:
Dont you love it! Easily the best part of teaching :)
Post a Comment