Friday, December 28, 2007

Salt of the Earth

This is my plug for Perspectives, a course on world missions, that is offered in many cities in the U.S. I took the class last year and learned so much about missions. You'd think growing up as an MK (kind of), I'd know it all, but it turns out I didn't! The class takes you through four "perspectives" on missions - Biblical, historical, cultural, and strategic. It was so interesting, seriously, and it changed the way I read my Bible.

The class meets once a week starting in January. There are different credit options as it can be used for undergrad or graduate-level credit. I actually didn't take it for credit since I am not in school and I'd say that is the way to go! That way no work is actually required, I just did the best I could to get through the reading before the next week (it was my first year teaching!). The book is great and a compilation of a lot of peoples' thoughts on missions - from Johns Stott to John Piper to Ralph Winter and a bunch of other guys I'd never heard of. The classes were taught by lots of different people, almost a different teacher every week - from professors to pastors to missionaries.

So, it was great. Look it up, pray about it. I know in Charlotte you could attend the first class without payment and make a decision. But you need to move fast, classes start in January! Look up classes near your town on www.perspectives.org.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I just signed up yesterday! I heard about it at church and thought it would be good prep for the missions trip i am going on. I am doing a trip called the world race, serving 11 countries in 11 months. I leave in October and I am already ready to go! Maybe we will get to run into each other when I am in Africa! Have a great week, and i'm so excited for you and your opportunity.