I will join the ten thousand people out there who are crowing about pumpkin spice lattes and boot weather - I do love Autumn! I like how my friend Kelly put it - that Fall is to the Southerner what Spring is to the New Englander . . . a change from a relentlessly long season of hot or cold. So while I will miss the enormous, fiery trees that crowd out the road in Long Island and drop their leaves into swirling piles below, I think I will enjoy these hillsides around us just as much as they change colors. It all beats growing up in a desert where the months were "hot" and "hotter" and the teachers were left trying to explain seasons with colorful illustrations of a tree in four phases of leaf-growing and losing.
So, we kicked off the official start of Fall this weekend with a visit to Gentry Farm down the road from our house. It was opening weekend and there were tons of pumpkins to choose from - perhaps the first time I've picked a pumpkin from its vine? Fun, is what it is.

Bo and his sweet cousins.
Never mind how Bo's white head disappears into the sky . . .
The boys had a blast chasing chickens, going down slides, and playing in long troughs of corn and wheat. Of course the whole things makes me want to have a farm . . . and then I feel like being responsible for large animals might be a bit much for me. But a quick search on 'how to raise chickens' seemed kind of encouraging. A cheaper solution to those free-range eggs I keep buying. And I also found plans for this chicken coop:
Umm, a coop with a window box and operable shutters? Sign me up.
How we got from pumpkins to raising chickens is not important. Happy Fall!





1 comment:
great pictures! Chickens seem a nice compromise between big farm and nothing at all. We hope to do that, too, eventually. So you go ahead and work out all the kinks, and we'll take your notes. . .
Post a Comment