Monday, January 4, 2010

snow cream

They were right. We had more snow. Saturday we woke up to another world of white.

All was calm.
All was bright.

Matt was out to realize an unfulfilled dream, or maybe it was a childhood memory, but regardless, he really wanted to make Snow Cream.
- Snow Cream? Honey, I don't know how to do that. (ever the skeptic, I know.)
- Just go to your computer and type in "snow cream."

And that's what we did.
And I'd like to save you the trouble.

Here's how to make snow cream.

1. Send a small child in your life outside to gather a large quantity of snow.

Or, if you don't have a small child, you can send your husband, or your grandmother, or your cousin Joe, whoever is around.

For added joy and sentimentality, you can also send out a happy puppy.
Look how sweet he is.

Oh, no! He's WILD!

Snow Cream! Snow Cream!
Snow Cream! Snow Cream!

SNOOOOOW CREEEEAM!


Once you've let out all your joy and glee...

2. Mix milk, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. We used sweetened condensed milk, which gave it a real "homemade ice cream" taste. You could also use whipping cream.

If you use sweetened condensed milk, I would recommend thinking about the word "sweetened" in that phrase and NOT add random, unmeasured amounts of sugar.

3. Add the snow! We actually had to go out for more, as it was a bit runny at first. If you add enough, it really looks and tastes a lot like ice cream!

And then the whole "too sweet" thing actually led to us putting snow in a bowl and adding snow cream on top.

And some leftover tart n' tangy cranberry sauce.


Conclusion:
Fun. Yummy.
What takes several hours to churn in an ice cream maker in the summer, you can enjoy in a couple minutes in the winter, complete with whatever toxins are cleansed from the air and end up in your ice cream bowl.


Sorry, none for you.

6 comments:

Elyse Anderson said...

Wow, I'm sorry but Moose just looks absolutely ridiculous when he runs.. But in a good way of course.

Ashley said...

Erica - I know we haven't touched base in a while - but I had to tell you how much I loved your snow cream post! I understand!Snow cream was a family favorite for us - like you said, complete with whatever toxins you pick up. And I love that you added your dog to your mix! What a great breed! We have a Chesapeake bay retriever/pitt mix, and I have to admit that we're ridiculous with how much he's "part of the fam"

Hope all is well!

Lori Orr said...

I LOVE the picture of Moose and his running cheeks! Haha, what a handsome boy!

Megan Del Castillo said...

read it.
love it.
and the "moose commentary"....i hear it in your tucky voice:)!

Meghan Baird said...

That sounds yummy and like a lot of fun. We have some snow here WV, so I'll have to try it! I'm glad to see that your enjoying NY and keeping up with your photography.
-Megh

Cam and Elisa said...

Can you please mail me some Snow Cream?? Sounds great!
You are just living dreams still my Erica. Your little Moose too, he is So cute! Love the picture of him running (and I love your Moose comments and inclusions in almost every blog)!