Since I've been back, I've been observing and absorbing America. I've left the U.S. and returned oodles of times, so culture shock is not really a part of my vocabulary at the moment. I like re-noticing things that I'd forgotten about. Smooth roads, for instance. Oh, thank you taxpayers for providing us with highways that have painted lines down the middle of them. Sidenote - I still have mini-freakouts about whether I'm turning into the correct lane. Even though I never drove in Kenya, I still second guess my driving abilities. With good reason . . . they're not that great.
Anyway, besides the recession, there have been some fun additions to our society. Since
I've been gone, Skittles Crazy Cores have entered the candy scene. And Green Apple Mentos. I haven't had an opportunity to try these treats yet but I'll let you know how that goes. Also Wheat Thins and Walmart changed their logos. That's lovely of them, everything is so much more attractive.
It's been nice to revisit some of my old favorites . . . everything in the world of coffee has improved exponentially. Back to the world of coffee creamers . . . and our old favorite corporate giant, Starbucks. Did you know if you buy a coffee in the morning, you can come back and get a grande cold drink for only $2? It's called receipt treat or something like that. I haven't actually done that, either, but I get a kick out of knowing I can!
Oh, and let me not forget to mention technology . . . Matt tricked me into thinking we needed to go get a cell phone for me during the few days I was there . . . when really he had already taken care of it AND programmed in my friends and family, as an early birthday present. So now I can not only talk to everybody in the USA whenever I want, but I can also facebook and internet and youtube my life away. Oh, 3G. Also the zippy nature of our internet is a constant source of joy.
I do miss Kenya. It's not ALL fine and dandy here in the mother country. Maybe I'll get around to posting some of the negatives . . . but I thought, positives first. I learned that back in cross-cultural connections in college. And I am a lifelong learner, I tell ya . . .
I've been gone, Skittles Crazy Cores have entered the candy scene. And Green Apple Mentos. I haven't had an opportunity to try these treats yet but I'll let you know how that goes. Also Wheat Thins and Walmart changed their logos. That's lovely of them, everything is so much more attractive.Oh, and let me not forget to mention technology . . . Matt tricked me into thinking we needed to go get a cell phone for me during the few days I was there . . . when really he had already taken care of it AND programmed in my friends and family, as an early birthday present. So now I can not only talk to everybody in the USA whenever I want, but I can also facebook and internet and youtube my life away. Oh, 3G. Also the zippy nature of our internet is a constant source of joy.
I do miss Kenya. It's not ALL fine and dandy here in the mother country. Maybe I'll get around to posting some of the negatives . . . but I thought, positives first. I learned that back in cross-cultural connections in college. And I am a lifelong learner, I tell ya . . .
1 comment:
nice updates. Looks like everyone's having a good time! I'll be interested to hear what you don't like about America, esp because right now I'm feeling like it's the Golden Land :) But I know that is a feeling that ebbs and flows. Still waiting for a pic of the house in Long Island....
Post a Comment