Friday, July 3, 2009

and other events

Let's get all the exciting events of June in all at once, now that we're in July! Here's the whirlwind tour:

Bible Study: We take turns hosting and I love having it at my house because it saves me the treacherous walk down and back up in the dark, cold, lonely night. When my friends arrive they're always panting and filled with awe over my weekly treks and demanding rehydration for their efforts. On Wednesdays we do a meal and Gladys helped me make the most AMAZING pizzas . . . tomato basil . . . mm . . . anyway, here they are, crammed in my place:
Since we finished a study, we had to CELEBRATE, and what better way than a BBQ? I had a friend drive down my cornhole set so we could have some real summer barbecue fun. First, appreciate the million dollar view:
Dr. Ndasi, our Cameroonian compadre (or ami, actually), manning the grill:
Imma winding up her winning toss:

During this time my friend Meghan was visiting, who works with a nonprofit in southern Kenya. It was great to see her again!

And around RVA . . . we had sophomore restaurant, where the soph class transformed our cafo into a Night in Paris, complete with chicken cordon bleu, a french fashion show, french tunes, and chocolate mousse. It was definitely Kijabe Date Night as all the staff dressed up and left the kids at home and juniors and seniors asked that special girl to dinner . . . I was missing MY date but had a great time with Anita, the Nagles, and the Rebers. I think the window boxes and awnings are adorable. . .
THEN they had a shower for me. It was such a sweet time of sharing and I left feeling so blessed by the women of Kijabe! My sweet senior girls made these awesome cakes as a final project in their cake decorating class:
The entire girl fish survived to come to 4th grade the next day and awe and delight my class.

Then, let's see, what else . . . I ran a marathon . . . and came back to see my Jenny the next day! She flew in Saturday night and was out in Kijabe before lunch on Sunday morning to get a feel for the place. It was super/surreal to have her here and show her my life and her new life! So crazy!

Of course we had to take the typical "welcome to RVA" picture . . .

Had her meet all my friends . . . made dinner with Anita . . . trying to fill J up with mexican food before she headed to ABO.

We had to say goodbye so soon as she had to head off Machakos. We're already planning a visit in December while she's in the U.S.
love it.

ok that's my life.

3 comments:

erin said...

loved this post.
loved talking to you.

Jenny said...

yay :)

also love talking to you on the cell phone...whenever i want...with a great connection.

Meghan Baird said...

Hey girl!! a.) sorry I'm such a loser as to not have sent you the pics from the BBQ yet; and b.) You look so great running that marathon and I'm proud of you all!!

As, I'm sure you are too, I'm busy as ever trying to get everything ready for turnover before I go back home! I need your new addy for LI and possibly a phone number for that b-day of yours that's vastly approaching!