There is a potter who works at RVA named Zed. He makes amazing things. This summer, after several unsuccessful shopping trips, I set my heart on having Zed make my dishes. I dropped by his studio and described what I wanted. After a few weeks of waiting, they were done! And they are awesome. The only problem was that "medium bowls" aren't soup bowl size, but huge . . . like the one in the picture. So I bought one medium bowl and put in an order for 4 small bowls. =) Someday I'll take pictures of Zed at work, today pictures of his work will have to suffice.

11 comments:
Dishes remind me of Denby stoneware from England. Very nice. The fam will enjoy using those at Christmas.
Love,
Mom
Erica, Sounds like you could even be a nurse- proud of you for handling the situation. Your dishes are awesome. Never knew they hAD POTTERS there.
Love Aunt Deb
Congrats on the new dishes. I'm really enjoying reading your posts. Sounds like you're living your dream.
Maggie says woof!
Mick
was that my mom leaving you a message?!?!? HA. i did show her some things on the internet the other day. she is now on facebook, although i don't know if she still remembers her password. oh well. you cn bring a horse to water but you can't force them to drink.
anyways, the dishes look amazing. so fun.
Those are beautiful!!! But you're right, that would be an insane amount of cereal.
The dishes look great! I can imagine you sipping your Dorman's coffee by the fireplace with one of those handsome mugs! Although the bowl is ginormous,after running a half marathon a giant bowl of cereal might hit the spot! haha, jk. But you mom's right, when you're fam comes for Christmas that bowl looks like it'd be good for salad or mashed potatoes-- family size.
Love reading your updates! Sounds like your life in Africa is absolutely wonderful. I am sure you miss things from back home...but you have so much there too. Sounds like a blessing!
And your family is coming for Christmas??? How nice is that? You are going to love that. I think ours plan on coming out next summer.....
Love your dishes they remind me of the dishes we had the art teacher in Taichung make. They are beautiful!
We may be trying to do a house make over here soon...its almost our fall break! But I dont know if it will turn out as nice as yours! Your place looks great!
Still waiting to catch up with you sometime! Would love to chat!
Oh Erica, those are beautiful! I know you will enjoy them.
Ok, you know what, I need to come to Africa and get dishes from Zed. We asked my dad (remember he is the potter) months ago to make us dinnerware for our wedding. And guess what we are still using? Melmac and four random china plates from our wedding. Haha. This post made me laugh thinking about how much slower things usually go in Africa, but this time Africa definitely beat out Mr. American, Royce Yoder Potter!
Oh my!!! Those are so yummy! Wish I could sit with you by your little fireplace and sip some coffee or tea...or whatever...like we did last fall...from your new mugs! Just lovely!
carla
Greetings Erica!
Just wanted to say hi. I see things are going well-and exciting too. Love reading your blog. Here's a bit of news: Mrs. Atkins-Bostic is going to Afghanistan (or some place close). She'll be in training in CA for a week. Mrs. Hill will be taking care of the pigeons. She'll return from training in November and will wait until she's called to leave the US. 5th grade is loving our well behaved kids. They are a bit chatty and slack on homework, but behavior is great. After last year, we could use the break. I'll be checking in again soon. Tske care!! Tracey Sims
Post a Comment